Tuesday 7 April 2015

30 Days of Biking - Days 1 to 6

So this 30 days of biking thing.  For the last couple of years, I've noticed it about ten days too late but this year I came across a link in plenty of time and so signed up.

For those not in the know, it's about taking the pledge to ride your bike on every day on April.  There's a website and a Twitter feed here:

30 Days of Biking Website

and here:

30 Days of Biking Twitter Feed

I'm a big fan of encouraging cycling and sucker for a bit of an internet crowd event so this is right up my street.  Literally.

I ride to work a few days a week, though recent changes to my job mean that five days in the office is now a rarity.  That's been great from the point of view of variety, but really hammers my time in the saddle.

So the rides so far have been:

Day 1:  Commute to and from work (23 miles)

Day 2:  Commute to and from work including stop and pub on way home (23 miles)

Day 3:  Bank holiday so no work.  Went out for a brisk hour or so in the afternoon.  Really wet and drizzly but lovely to be out riding for a purpose other than commuting. (13 miles)

Day 4:  Busy day decorating so took the dog out for a few laps of the village after dark.  She has so much energy (always has had) and the bike ride ran plenty of that off!  Wish I'd thought of it years ago (1.5 miles)

Day 5:  Lovely sunny ride down the lane and back with youngest two kids.  My smallest is trying to get the hang of gears - twist shifters are a bit of a pain with little hands.  Great ride though - spreading the love. (4 miles)

Day 6:  Busy again so took the dog out again late in the evening. (1.5 miles)

So it's day 7 today.  I've already cycled in to work in the fog.  Despite the poor visibility it was a great ride in and I wore shorts (cut off jeans - no lycra here, thanks) for the first time in 2015.  Here are a couple of pictures:


 



The fog has lifted now though and it's a beautiful still, sunny day.  Consequently, I'm sitting here contemplating skipping the train tonight and going for the long ride all the way home.






No comments:

Post a Comment